|Location||Salt Lake City, UT|
|Date Posted||June 9, 2021|
Data Privacy Advisor
- Provide data privacy advice to our global business
- Fun and inclusive team - Ethics & Compliance
- Permanent opportunity, located in Salt Lake City UT – rare global privacy role
About the role
As the Data Privacy Advisor, you will provide support to the Head of Privacy and the European Privacy Manager in providing data privacy advice to the business and implementing the global Rio Tinto data privacy compliance program.
This role is a unique opportunity for an energetic and motivated individual with experience in providing data privacy advice and in drafting and negotiating data privacy provisions in commercial contracts! You must have a tertiary Law degree and strong post admission experience working in data privacy law and compliance, either within a private legal practice or in-house. Reporting to the Head of Privacy you will be:
- Responding to requests for data privacy advice in an accurate, timely and practical way;
- Supporting regional Data Privacy Leads (in the broader E&C team) to respond to requests for data privacy advice, as well as advising on and responding to data privacy incidents;
- Supporting our Rio Tinto Procurement (RTP) / (RTP Legal) teams by providing data privacy advice in relation to Requests for Proposals, reviewing proposed outsourcing agreements and advising on data privacy clauses, including in relation to trans-border transfers;
- Undertaking Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) and supporting the implementation, tracking and reporting of data privacy recommendations arising under PIAs; advising on corrective and preventative actions arising from data privacy incidents; and assisting the European Privacy Manager and Data Privacy Leads to undertake risk-based monitoring of data privacy compliance.
What you’ll bring
- Strong and demonstrated understanding of US sector-specific privacy laws (eg HIPAA), CCPA and US State data breach notification laws, as well as Canadian federal and provincial data privacy laws. Understanding of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is also required
- Energetic and motivated to develop further as a subject matter expert in data privacy
- Solid commercial contract drafting and negotiation experience, with experience in outsourcing and drafting of data privacy clauses preferred. Experience in contracts relating to technology, HR services and health benefits desirable
- Ability to process, progress and complete matters independently in a high paced environment; seeking guidance when needed. Flexible and collaborative style with an ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Good interpersonal and influencing skills
- Exemplary and unquestionable personal integrity and moral compass
- French or another second language is desirable.
- Law degree and at least 5 years’ post admission experience (private legal practice or in-house)
If you also have experience in technology contracting, outsourcing and drafting of data privacy clauses your application will be highly regarded![LC(&I1]
You will also be :
- Highly analytical with significant attention to detail and ability to assimilate multiple data sources;
- Someone with excellent active listening and communication skills, and strong written communication skills;
- A great team worker who is flexible and collaborative
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs and pension plan
- Wellbeing benefits
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
The successful candidate will be part of Ethics & Compliance group based in Salt Lake City.
Our Kennecott mine is a world-class, fully integrated copper mining operation, including a concentrator, smelter and refinery, located just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, in the United States. We produce copper, precious metals including gold and silver, molybdenum and sulfuric acid. Kennecott has been mining and processing minerals from the rich ore body of the Bingham Canyon Mine since 1903 and is one of the top producing mines in the world, comprising approximately 11 percent of U.S. annual copper production.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the
LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit www.uscis.gov/ for more information.