|Date Posted||September 7, 2019|
Job Description: Life Safety Systems Technician
TITLE: Life Safety Systems Technician
Department: Chandler, AZ Operations / Maintenance
Reports: Facilities Operations Manager
The Life Safety Systems Technician inspects, repairs, and maintains life safety equipment and systems in accordance with prevailing building codes, corporate policies and procedures, and local fire codes. Life safety systems include fire alarms and control systems, smoke detection, wet and dry sprinkler systems, computer based annunciation and control systems, portable fire extinguishers, fixed and portable safety showers and eye wash assemblies.
Assemble, repair, test, and maintain fire protection systems and components including pipes, fittings, fixed and portable equipment, according to system specifications.
- Reviews and updates the current status of all installed fire suppression systems
- Coordinates regularly scheduled preventive and emergency repairs of suppression systems
- Inspects, test, maintains, and repairs fire suppression systems that in a manner that ensures their serviceability and operation in accordance with applicable standards
- Submits documented reports regarding installed fire suppression system’s inspection, test, maintenance or repair work, noting discrepancies, system impairments, and recommendations
- Ensures all electrical systems safety is understood and followed during the completion of suppression system maintenance
- Inspects installed fire suppression systems and corrects any discrepancies or impairments
- Plans, schedules, and oversees regularly scheduled testing of fire Suppression systems
- Supervises and performs regularly scheduled preventative maintenance of the following: Riser Rooms, Fire Sprinkler Systems, Fire Extinguishers, PIV’s, Tampers, Flow switches, Curb Boxes, Kitchen Hood Fire Suppression, Foam Systems, Carousals, Hydrants, and appurtenances
- Performs routine and complex maintenance and repairs on various fire suppression equipment, e.g., fire extinguishers, range hood extinguishing systems and fire hoses
- Dismantles portable fire extinguishers and examines tubing, horns, head gaskets, cutter discs and other parts for defects and replaces worn or damaged parts.
- Inspects and repairs wet and dry fire sprinklers and range hood extinguishing systems.
- Cleans, inspects, hydro tests, repairs, recharges, and recertifies fire extinguishers
- Responsible for the safe handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
Performs minor building maintenance as needed
- Operate a variety of hand and powered tools
- Mechanical repairs to cabinets or brackets holding extinguishers, smoke detection, or other life safety systems
- Minor mechanical maintenance and installation for general building repairs
- Minor piping testing, inspection, and repairs for general building maintenance
- Minor electrical testing, troubleshooting, inspections and repairs for general building work
- Installs cabinets for fire recall systems.
- Installs fire extinguishers in new or renovated facilities
Administer and Schedule Work
- Assists in preparing project and departmental budgets
- Monitors inventory and initiates requests for supplies, materials, and equipment
- Keeps daily reports, records, rounds and reading for assigned equipment
- Schedules and coordinates own work in cooperation with other Technicians
Knowledge and Personal skills:
The LSS Technician must have knowledge of industry standards, local fire and building codes, and the ability to apply to maintenance and testing of site LSS systems. Ability to read, interpret, and understand engineering drawings and specifications. The plumbing technician must consistently demonstrate:
- The ability to work cooperatively with other technicians, supervisors, engineers, and managers
- Follow all safety policies and procedures at all times
- Ability to understand verbal and written instructions, and act accordingly
- Ability to draft and follow written practices, maintenance, and operating procedures
- Strong attention to details, demonstrated experience reviewing procedural documents for completeness and accuracy
- Team building skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Sound decision making skills
- Effective verbal, presentation, and listening communications skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Computer skills including the ability to operate Corporate email, spreadsheets, word processing, engineering drawing databases at a highly proficient level
- Capable of working independently and exhibit effective time management skills
- Willingness and ability to work overtime when needed for business purposes, or to be called-in to work in the event of emergency or business needs.
- Contributes recommendations and suggestion for work method improvements, safety, materials, and tools
- The LSS Technician must have an appropriate focus on personal, process, and work force safety.
- Personal attributes should include honesty, trustworthiness, respect for others, flexibility, and sound workplace ethics
Experience, Education, and Training:
- High School graduation or GED is required
- Technical College or Trade Program is preferred
- Five years’ experience with life safety systems and/or fire suppression systems working in an Industrial setting are highly preferred
- Competency in basic mathematic skills including fractions, addition, subtraction, division
- Skilled in use of electrical and hand held diagnostic equipment, hand tools, power tools, and specialized tools required to execute the position responsibilities.
- Requires current Fire Protection licenses as applies to position requirements, or have the ability to pass the essential exams for the licenses within 30 days of employment start date
- Familiar with computer equipment, and capable of operating or learning specialized computer software systems
- Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona Driver’s License.
The Life Safety Systems Technician may spend extended hours working inside and outside in all weather conditions, and in awkward body positions which can cause physical discomfort and strain. Perform strenuous labor and general maintenance activities. The LSS Technician will be required to regularly lift up to 50 lbs, carry and adjust heavy objects. Foreseeably the position will come in contact with sharp, hot, and very cold supplies equipment, and parts. The LSS Technician must be medically qualified to wear a personal respirator.
Sensory demands include exposure to the smells and sounds characteristic of an industrial work environment. The LSS Technician must have the ability to safely climb ladders, work at elevation from ladders, scaffolding, lifts, roofs or platforms, and the ability to work in confined spaces. While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands or arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
This job description does not encompass all known and foreseeable responsibilities and tasks of the position. Duties will include any and all other directions of supervision that can safely be performed by the incumbent.
JLL Privacy Notice
Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL), together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading global provider of real estate and investment management services. We take our responsibility to protect the personal information provided to us seriously. Generally the personal information we collect from you are for the purposes of processing in connection with JLL’s recruitment process. We endeavour to keep your personal information secure with appropriate level of security and keep for as long as we need it for legitimate business or legal reasons. We will then delete it safely and securely.
For more information about how JLL processes your personal data, please view our Candidate Privacy Statement.
For additional details please see our career site pages for each country.
For employees in the United States, please see a fully copy of our Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action policy here.
Jones Lang LaSalle (“JLL”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process – including the online application and/or overall selection process – you may email us at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. This email is only to request an accommodation. Please direct any other general recruiting inquiries to our Contact Us page > I want to work for JLL.